Sunday, August 06, 2006

Rescued baby mynah!!




Ring...Ring...

Me: Hello..
Friend: Hi jingjing, i'm KY. Are you free to talk now??
Me: Oh ya... anything??
Friend: I rescued a baby mynah with its dead sibling beside it. Do you have anyone who wants to keep it?
Me: (Think think....) Er... no. (Ask other questions about the bird)
Friend: I asked Mdm Y(a stray cat feeder) what should I do. She said leave it.
Me: (I was mildly shocked) ok. I'll take it in. I'm still working now. Will pass by your house to fetch the baby later at 10plus in the night.
Friend:Ok. thanks.
Me: Alright. Bye.

So. At 10 plus, we pass by KY's house to fetch the little fellow. It is already the 3rd day in my house now. Hmm... first time caring for a helpless baby bird. Keeps crying for more food(my father and i promptly bought some bird food the next day). It has not even learn to fly yet. Not sure whether we would be keeping him for long. Not really sure which is a more humane solution. To keep him in our big cage for life or release it when it learns how to fly.... What will you do??

2 comments:

e said...

Wow. This is interesting. A baby bird!! I would try to help it learn to be independent. I used to think that it was cruel how people kept birds in cages but they explained that if these "domesticated" birds were let go, they would die because they don't know how to hunt. How are the dogs towards the bird? Curious? Any signs of predatory nature appearing? Fei sometimes goes nuts about birds and bolts on the lead to chase them.

jingjing said...

Ya, I'm afraid she will probably die when I released her. The dogs?? Only terry is always preying on the bird. Stupid boy... but I think is normal for dogs to go nuts at a sight of a flying bird. Especially one in their territory and being a hunter dog like terry.