Thursday, March 19, 2009

A couple said Cats are Pest when I was feeding the community cats.

You know how some people think they are so superior and noble that anyone or animals beneath them should be destroyed. I dun know how you called them but I shall named them the Hitler-couple!

Last night, as usual I was feeding 2 cats at a car park near my place. A Indian couple came down and said to me...

Hitler-Couple: You shouldn't be feeding the cats. They are PEST.
Me: (Bewildered, I looked at them) But they are sterilised. They do not contribute to the population.
Hitler-Couple: You should let nature take its course. They do not catch rats anymore. And they grow so big and aggressive.
Me: But if I dun feed them. They will overturn the garbage bins, eat table scraps and make a mess. People will complain about that!
Hitler-Couple: Where do you get your statistics??
Me: Well, there have been cases in Joo Chiat and Gelyang where nobody feeds the cats and they make a mess. And people complained.
ZW: At least we feed them so they won't make a mess. And we cleaned up after that.
Hitler-Couple: And is feeding cats allowed?? I'm not sure about that.
Me: Yes, feeding cats are perfectly legal. Littering isn't.
Hitler-Couple: (not convinced) We have no issues of you littering. (????!!)They are a nuisance. They sleep in car bonnets and scratches??? the cars. Some people doesn't like that.
Hitler-Couple: Look, the cockroaches is beside the cat food. ( The fat cat ignored the insect and cont. eating).
Me: We all live in the neighbourhood. We should tolerate one another.
Hitler-Couple: Yes. So you should stop feeding those cats because some people doesn't like them!!'
Me: (Feeling really HOT! already) I still calmly ask them please not to complain the cats.
Hitler-Couple: Oh, so what do you think I will do? These cats are a problem. Of cos I will complain.
Hitler-Couple: I just wan to ask you to stop feeding. It's your call now.

And they walk off. I wanted so much to say something racist. But I didn't. Simply because I'm not a racist!! I have Indian friends who are kind hearted too. And I didn't wan to start a war. In a panic mode, those words that Dawn from CWS blog raced through my mind. I quickly called a few cats feeders and ask them for advice. Ena gave me the number of the Town Council. I called just now and updated them that I'm feeding the cats responsibly. So please let me know if anyone complains about the cats. Mdm goh says these cats have been living in the neighbourhood peacefully for many years. Sigh... Why some people can be such a PEST in the neighbourhood???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hitler-Couple: Yes. So you should stop feeding those cats because some people doesn't like them!!'

tis statement doesnt sound logical to me. does tat mean, " i dont like the indian couple standing infront of me, they must stop eating?"

hahaa...

. said...

How stupid are they, they think cats claws made of metal can scratch metal? Gosh how ignorant. So if i see kids urinating in the lift, or teens vandalising the block, or chinese ppl burning those joss stick i mus start asking them to stop doign that? Pls la, who they think they are, they dont like we must stop? So if i dont like indians can i ask them to stop having sex and give birth? No right? STUPID ppl and for the record, i DONT dislike indians.

Anonymous said...

Juz ignore them.. we understand how u feel.. some ppl just think that the universe belongs to human one & only..
be strong ger!
alws sarporking u! =)

EJ. said...

Right,JJ, just ignore them.
They have no rights to tell you or threaten you to stop feeding and caring for the community cats.
As long as you feed responsibly,leaving no mess behind, and doing TNRM, then you are doing the right thing!

Huskee and Hershey said...

This is so lame!!
Hitler-Couple: Yes. So you should stop feeding those cats because some people doesn't like them!!... Maybe you should have told them that yes, some people don't like them but there are people who like them too!
Sorry to hear about your encounter JJ.. sometimes it's just hard to please everyone and make them understand that animals, like humans, also have a place in society.